Come Work with Us!
We are a non-profit, faith-based organization providing care in communities across British Columbia to those living with disabilities. At Communitas, we support and empower people of all abilities, from all walks of life, faith, social standing, race or ethnicity.
About the Opportunity
We are looking for our next executive team member to join us as the Director of Human Resources at our provincial office in Abbotsford, BC.
As a full-time HR Officer you work collaboratively with the larger leadership team to promote and advance the mission, values and strategic direction of the organization. You provide guidance to managers and supervisors in both union and non-union settings and give executive oversight to a strong human resources department. You are responsible to develop and maintain accredited HR best practices, as well as ensure a safe and welcoming work environment for all staff. You are excited to shape, develop and support new initiatives and look forward to supporting revitalized recruitment and retention strategies.
Your main responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Overseeing HR Manager of Retention and ensures positive staff relationships throughout the organization
- Overseeing HR Manager of Recruitment and provides overall guidance for staff recruitment
- Interpreting labour laws/regulations such as Employment Standards, WSCB, Human Rights
- Developing and implementing HR policies, programs and procedures in accordance with COA accreditation standards
- Ensuring that work performance standards are maintained including the advancement of a work performance review process for all staff.
- Together with the Executive Team, being responsible for risk management; identifying & analyzing the nature, severity & frequency of risks
- In conjunction with the larger leadership team, developing & providing overall training framework for the organization
Education and Experience:
- Degree in Human Resources or related field preferred but not required (Masters preferred) or CPHR designation
- Must have 5+ years of Executive level HR experience
- Excellent mediation and conflict management skills; restorative practices experience an asset
- Non-profit experience is an asset
- Experience in a unionized environment
- Experience communicating and negotiating with stakeholders
Skills and Competencies:
- You thrive in a team-based culture
- You love using your people skills to empower others and create community
- You know labour laws and have strong communication skills to negotiate with stakeholders
- You are confident in providing oversight and strategic direction at an executive level
- Creating a positive workforce and team culture gets you excited
What We Offer
We offer a competitive salary, 100% employer paid benefits package, Municipal Pension Plan, and a positive and supportive working environment. If you are passionate about Human Resource Management and have a track record of success in this field, we encourage you to apply today!
Want your application to stand out? Send us a cover letter to introduce yourself and let us know why you are interested in the position with Communitas!
Position Start Date: ASAP
Please note: For the safety and well-being of the people we support and our employees, we require proof of full COVID-19 vaccination.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: From $95,609.90 per year
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
Flexible Language Requirement:
Communitas follows a Communicable Diseases Prevention Plan and adapts to necessary COVID-19 changes to prioritize supported persons and employee's safety.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Abbotsford, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Human resources: 5 years (required)
Work Location: One location